Scope of the report
AngloGold Ashanti’s suite of 2010 annual reports includes:
- Annual Financial Statements 2010
- Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report 2010 (PDF - 5.69MB)
- Sustainability Report 2010
- Annual Review 2010 (PDF - 720KB)
These reports and documents communicate all relevant aspects of AngloGold Ashanti’s operating, sustainability and financial performance for the 2010 financial year, from 1 January 2010 to 31 December 2010. Those to whom the company seeks to communicate include: shareholders; investors; employees and their representatives; the communities among whom AngloGold Ashanti operates; and regional and national governments.
The Annual Financial Statements 2010 presents an extensive review of the year in both web-based and printed formats, and was prepared in accordance with: International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS); the South African Companies Act, 61 of 1973 (as amended); and the Listings Requirements of the JSE Limited (JSE). In compiling the Annual Financial Statements 2010 and the Sustainability Report 2010, the guidelines on integrated reporting of the King Report on Governance for South Africa 2009 (King III) were taken into account. This report, which includes a separate Notice of Meeting, is submitted to the JSE in South Africa, as well as the stock exchanges in London, New York, Ghana, Australia, Paris and Brussels. It is also submitted to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on a Form 6-K. In compliance with the rules governing its listing on the New York Stock Exchange and in accordance with the accounting principles generally accepted in the US, AngloGold Ashanti prepares an annual report on Form 20-F. The Form 20-F for the 2010 financial year must be filed with the SEC by no later than 30 June 2011.
In the Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report 2010, AngloGold Ashanti's Mineral Resources and Ore Reserves are reported in accordance with the South African Code for Reporting of Exploration Results, Mineral Reserves and Mineral Resources (SAMREC 2007 Edition) and the Australasian Code for Reporting of Exploration Results, Mineral Resources and Ore Reserves (JORC 2004). Competent persons in terms of these codes have prepared, reviewed and confirmed the Mineral Resources and Ore Reserves reported. The Annual Financial Statements 2010 contains a summary of the group’s Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve as detailed in the Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report 2010. These Ore Reserves are used in the preparation of the annual financial statements in accordance with IFRS.
The Sustainability Report 2010, Sustainable Gold, provides an account of AngloGold Ashanti’s sustainability performance in 2010. It covers six key focus areas for 2010:
- Improving operational safety performance;
- Managing health impacts that arise at our operations and in our communities;
- Operating with due respect for human rights;
- Delivering sustainable economic benefits, including to the communities which host our operations;
- Recognising and reporting explicitly on exploration and closure in the life cycle of our operations; and
- Conducting effective stewardship of the environment and of the natural resources that we use, primarily land, water and energy.
The report gives context and outlines the approach for each area. It also provides particulars of the work that has been undertaken in that area, targets that have been set and performance against these targets. Supplementary information on our website presents more detailed disclosure on performance against relevant Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) indicators, the sustainable development framework of the International Council on Metals and Mining (ICMM) and the principles of the UN Global Compact (UNGC).
A separate summary report, the Annual Review 2010, which contains extracts of key information from the Annual Financial Statements 2010, the Sustainability Report 2010 as well as the notice of meeting to shareholders and the form of proxy, has been produced for distribution to all shareholders.
A compact disc, containing the web-based versions and downloadable pdfs of these reports, will be distributed to all shareholders together with the Annual Review 2010.
Hard copies of all these reports, which are integral to AngloGold Ashanti’s communication programme with its shareholders and business partners, may be requested from the contacts listed at the end of this report.
- Unless otherwise stated, $ or dollar refers to US dollars throughout this suite of reports.
- References to “group” and “company” are used interchangeably in the narrative of this report, except in the financial statements of the group and company.
- “Statement of financial position” and “balance sheet” are used interchangeably in the narrative of this report.
- To familiarise yourself with the terminology used in this report, please refer to Non-GAAP disclosures and the Glossary of terms and Non-GAAP metrics.
- Locations on maps are for indication purposes only.